Friday, January 15, 2010

I Drink For A Reason by David Cross

I Drink For A Reason is a collection of humorous essays, lists and rants by comedian/actor David Cross (Arrested Development, Mr. Show). Cross' particular brand of angry satire is not for everyone. Not in the "oh, you wouldn't get it" sense but more in the "you'll probably just think he's an asshole" sense. Cross, a self-proclaimed atheist Jew, tackles a variety of targets in the book, including but not limited to: religion, politics, hipsters, hippies, pundits, celebrities, Jim Belushi, Bill O'Reilly and things he thought of while having a bowel movement.

Rating: 79%

(Image from amazon.ca)

7 comments:

I.J. said...

Not a big Mr. Show fan, but I do love "The Audition".

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

r3 dies not with a cry but a whimper

I.J. said...

R3 is simply biding its time and choosing its words carefully.

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

hey internet jon, did you cry when glen died

Internet John said...

Tears of blood.

Nick said...

I enjoyed this book somewhat, but what is with all of the spelling/grammar errors? I've seen Cross on Bill Maher making fun of the spelling/grammar errors of people's signs at "tea bag" rallies ("retard parade")...Is it some kind of joke? Was his book not edited at all? It really distracted me from the content, especially considering how condescending Cross is about such things. Also, the lists were very hit or miss (mostly miss); seemed like a way to just fill pages.

I would love to see a full-on memoir from Cross.

Quammy said...

The memoir teasers might have been the best part of the book. I hope he goes that route at some point.