Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Brno

"Well now, gentlemen," said Bilibin, "Bolkonsky is my guest in this house and in Brünn itself. I want to entertain him as far as I can, with all the pleasures of life here. If we were in Vienna it would be easy, but here, in this wretched Moravian hole, it is more difficult, and I beg you all to help me. Brünn's attractions must be shown him. You can undertake the theatre, I society, and you, Hippolyte, of course the women."

RATING: Cabbage%

(Image from czech-transport.com.)

5 comments:

Viking Andrew said...

Yeah, yeah. We get it. You win: you've read the lamest books of anyone in all the kingdom.

Internet John said...

Was it Mailer that said that Dostoevsky is hip and Tolstoy is square?

Anyway, I lived in Brno, and English books were fucking expensive, but classics were cheap. I only ever got to the part where Pierre joins the Freemasons, and I've never boasted about it to a computer science professor. Jackass.

Viking Andrew said...

Touche.

BTW, does anyone else think Rick Steves' Europe Through the Back Door is poorly titled? I mean, I didn't even know they had Chili's in Bratislava.

Internet John said...

Yeah, I think Rocco Siffredi beat him to the punch by like 15 years.

But everybody knows they have Chili's in Bratislava.

Internet John said...

Also, Brno is an official twin city of Dallas.