Saturday, March 20, 2010

A Month of Boring Things - Day Thirty-One: The Dakota [Building]

In my younger and more vulnerable years, I lived in a private dorm that looked like a very very very very very very poor-man's Dakota building, and since I already had a weird fascination with one of its former residents, I felt pretty cool. Then I was lonely, and I didn't have the gutz to start a heroin addiction or marry a chinaman, and nobody ever shot me. So I created new heroes, and I grew up and had kidney stones. Okay, New York. I'll come live in you (deep deep inside of you), but you gotta pay my rent.




Rating: 66.666666666%

4 comments:

LoCo said...

Its former residents' wife still lives there.

I can't believe that I am about to share this, but when I was like 12 I wrote Lauren Bacall a fan letter and sent it to the Dakota. 12-year-old girl or 55-year-old gay man? Still hard to tell.

Let's play a game: Where Would Viking Andrew Live if He Lived in New York?

He would at LEAST need a backyard... Republican strongholds aren't out of the question... Canarsie?

laurie said...

Here's another fun fact, the couple in Rosemary's Baby lived in the Dakota.

I had a nice backyard when I lived in Bed-Stuy. Maybe Andrew could live there. Although I actually can't picture him in any neighborhood in NYC. Maybe here in the Heights if he gets all rich and famous and buys a $6mil brownstone with backyard. And then he can have coffee with Gabriel Bryne at Tazza every morning.

Viking Andrew said...

The answer is L.A.

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

snooty new york sophisticates