Saturday, March 6, 2010

Fantastic Mr. Fox

Fantastic indeed. This was one cuss of a great cussing movie. This fun little stop motion flick is based on a Roald Dald story about a fox with existential problems (to paraphrase: who am I and can a fox every really be happy without a chicken in its teeth?). It is very much a Wes Anderson movie, and not just because many of his "regulars" do voice overs. Everything about the movie-diaologue, themes, shots-and directing all scream ANDERSON. So if you are into that sort of thing you might just love it as much as the kid sitting behind me who exclaimed "MR. FOX!" right when the movie started.

Rating: a fantastic 84%

8 comments:

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

everyones like roger ebbert all the sudden

laurie said...

To be fair, I also reviewed some sweatpants the other day.

Internet John said...

I can't decide if my feelings about Anderson have changed with the ascent of the hipster douchebag. I'll always love The Royal Tenenbaums, though. Haven't seen Fox.

Quammy said...

Can't wait to see this. I missed it on the big screen because I usually can't get anyone to go to the movies with me and I won't see a kids movie in the theatre by myself. No way I'm gonna be the creepy loner guy at the kids matinee.

laurie said...

@Quammy LOL! That's reasonable. I saw it Friday evening (the independent theaters in town brought back all the Oscar noms in run up to the show) and there was actually only one kid in the theater that I saw. Oddly, there seemed to be a lot of lesbians couples there. I guess lesbians like Wes Anderson? Or foxes? Who knows.

Internet John said...

@ Qualms
I'll go to the movies with you as long as I don't have to sit by you.

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

hey yall i just got the mr fox dvd and this was in the outtakes:

fox!

Internet John said...

I'm a horror movie fan with a reasonably good layman's understanding of chaos theory, and that self-disemboweling fox has still been haunting my dreams for three fucking days.