Monday, October 25, 2010

Them!

Speaking of bugs, Them! is a movie about ants who got all giant due to atomic bombs. According to Wikipedia, the source I tell all my students to use, it is regarded as one of the best science fiction movies of the 50s. According to me, the only source I ever use, it is regarded as a boring piece of dookie. The ant effects are pretty good, but too much of the movie is this scientist with one of those old-timey "smart person" accents claiming that they're witnessing biblical prophecy. Thanks, doc! Hope you got that opinion peer reviewed.

RATING: 44%

3 comments:

Quammy said...

While I'll admit that Them! is a little boring, even by 50s sci-fi standards, I definitely liked it more than you did. I kinda have a soft spot for 50s sci-fi/horror flicks, even when they're terrible (see: Teenagers from Outer Space), and I especially love the giant bug movies from that era.

For me, two things always stand out in my mind when I think of Them! The catatonic little girl they find wandering in the desert, who lets out a bloodcurdling scream at one point. And one other odd little moment. The scientists, who know that the giant ants are real, meet with an eyewitness in a hospital (or something). In order to keep the giant ant situation out of the media, they have the guy involuntarily locked up. That's just cold, even for a scientist.

laurie said...

I like that you used the word "dookie."

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

tepid compliment blog