Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Live at the El Mocambo

Live at the El Mocambo is a live album recorded by Elvis Costello and the Attractions at the El Mocambo Tavern in Toronto in 1978. In the 1970's, the El Mocambo Tavern was a popular spot for bands, a number of whom recorded live albums there (See also: The Rolling Stones' Love You Live and April Wine's Live at the El Mocambo). Costello's Live at the El Mocambo was originally issued in 1978 as a heavily bootlegged promotional album, then reissued in 1993 as part of a box set and then reissued again in 2009 as part of the "Costello Show" series of archival live recordings. The El Mocambo recording, renowned among Elvis Costello fans, features energetic performances of songs primarily from Costello's first two albums. The 2009 reissue also restores some of Costello's stage banter which was absent from the 1993 reissue, including a speech where Costello informs the audience that he and the band have come from England to reclaim Canada.

Rating: 88%

(Image from amazon.ca)

7 comments:

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

hey cool another thing about canada

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

(jk i liked yr review of whatever this thing is)

Quammy said...

@Gay Lord Byron

Thank you and you're welcome. I always think of you whenever I get ready to publish one of my Canada-centric posts.

Internet Robyn said...

What is the big deal about bootlegged albums? I'm serious, because I have a "hipster" friend who ONLY buys bootlegged, and it seems to me most of the same tunes on NON-bootlegged albums. Edumicate me, Quammy!

Stompin' Tom said...

Ontario's not Canada, it's America lite.

Quammy said...

@Robyn

I guess, for some people, the allure of bootlegs is that you're getting something that not everyone else has heard. Some people want to hear everything that their favorite artist has done. And some people are are just hipster douchebags who love to lord their musical arrogance over others.

I.J. said...

I like when artists encourage bootlegs. I don't like when I'm at a Tool concert and cops are constantly shining a light in my face to check if I'm smoking pot.