Friday, April 23, 2010

Rio Bravo

When I first started watching westerns, I mostly stuck with spaghetti westerns. Classic westerns, especially John Wayne westerns, were for old people like my father (nothing personal, dad). It took Howard Hawks' 1959 classic Rio Bravo to show me just how wrong I was. The film, essentially a rebuke of High Noon's politics, finds a diverse group of characters (Wayne's stern sheriff, Dean Martin's recovering drunk, Angie Dickinson's lady gambler, Ricky Nelson's fresh faced cowhand, and Walter Brennan's grizzled yet comical old timer) defending a stronghold and each other. The interplay between the characters is what makes the movie so good, but it also helps that there is plenty of action and comedy, a little romance and even a musical number.

Rating: 95%

(Image from obsessedwithfilm.com)

1 comment:

Internet John said...

My fave western is Wild Wild West with Kenneth Branagh and that black guy.