Saturday, April 24, 2010

Kids in the Hall: Death Comes to Town

I've always maintained that the critics who panned Brain Candy and The Wrong Guy were probably Americans whose idea of a really hilarious movie is one in which a guy gets hit in the groin twice, and who are even now bragging about how one time they were on the same flight as Dane Cook. Just because no one from SNL has made a decent movie in twenty years doesn't mean sketch comedians can't be funny in longer, narrative-based projects. Be that as it may, Death Comes to Town is a dull, sad affair, with weak characters, flat dialogue, and very few laughs. When you're as old, chubby and tired-looking as Dave Foley, you really can't pull off playing multiple characters on the same show, especially one as weakly written as this. If Death Comes to Town were my dog, I'd have put it to sleep long before Episode 8.

RATING: 20%

(Image from www.thecoast.ca.)

4 comments:

Quammy said...

I liked it.

Internet John said...

Really? I watched the first episode and didn't laugh a single time, then I wrote a review basically pretending I'd watched all 8.

I.J. said...

Side note: if for some inexplicable reason you want to experience almost as much nationalist condescension as you'll find in my R3 reviews, you should browse some of the "Rotten" reviews of the Trailer Park Boys movie.

Quammy said...

The first episode was pretty heavy on exposition and character introductions, but I found it got better as the miniseries went on. While it wasn't as funny as classic KITH material, it still made me laugh.