Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Bedwetter: Stories of Courage, Redemption, and Pee

I'm not sure if it qualifies as a genre unto itself, but I love semi-serious autobiographies written by comedians. The first one I can remember reading was Drew Carey's Dirty Jokes and Beer: Stories of the Unrefined, which alternated between dick jokes and dark, personal anecdotes. Sarah Silverman devotes a large chunk of her book to her family history, her early battles with depression, and her bed wetting issues (hence the title). There's not a whole lot in the book about her comedy career, though she does take time to discuss some of her more controversial jokes/performances and there is a chapter devoted to her TV show, The Sarah Silverman Program. David Cross' book (I Drink For A Reason) could have been much better had it been written in a similar fashion.

Rating: 86%

(Image from larryfire.wordpress.com)

2 comments:

I.J. said...

Since it's the only one I've ever read, I suppose my fave comedian book is Tim Allen's Don't Stand Too Close to a Naked Man, in which he typifies women as sports cars, pickups, and station wagons. Also:cocaine.

Quammy said...

Oh no, I killed Wilson! Back to jail for me. *Grunt, grunt, grunt*