Friday, July 9, 2010

Blockade Billy

Nobody hates Stephen King more than the people who don't actually read his stuff. Next time you're talking books with a bunch of people, try telling them that you liked It and/or the Dark Tower series and see how well that goes over. King's newest short story/novella Blockade Billy combines his love of baseball and grisly horror with the attention to detail that goes a long way to really flesh out his work. Since I'm such a big movie dork, I couldn't help but think of the story as though it were Major League told using the plot device from Citizen Kane with a horror twist. You can probably still find copies of Blockade Billy at Wal-Mart for 30% off the cover price, because I'm pretty sure they have a hard time selling books that don't involve sparkly vampires.

Rating: 84%

(Image from Wikipedia)

3 comments:

DCP said...

I like Stephen King, but if I ever tell my writing MFA buddies that then they start puking out of their various orifices.

I.J. said...

I like my MFA buddies, but if I tell Stephen King that then he'll start puking out of his various orifices.

It is a great book about being a kid, The Dark Half, Insomnia and Needful Things were really cool, and his short fiction is actually fun to read. He really shit the bed on the later Dark Tower stuff, though.

Quammy said...

I've only read as far as Wizard and Glass, but I guess it's mostly downhill from there.