Saturday, May 22, 2010

Ted Leo's Cover of "Everybody Wants To Rule The World"

The A.V. Club, the semi-serious pop culture offshoot of the Onion, started their Undercover project a few months ago. Inviting bands into their office to play cover songs from a predetermined list of tracks. The first entry in the project, my favorite so far, was Ted Leo And The Pharmacists doing a cover of the Tears For Fears song "Everybody Wants To Rule The World." As corny as it sounds, Ted Leo's cover more or less redeemed the song in my mind. I recommend checking it out along with most of the other tracks from the Undercover project. There's even a Depeche Mode cover, if you're into that sort of thing.

Rating: 85%

(Image from adage.com)

2 comments:

Internet John said...

Speaking of hipsters and music, did you ever see the thing that David Cross wrote for Pitchfork? I can't remember if we were talking about it here or if I heard about it somewhere else.

Quammy said...

I have read that piece, I think he might have included it in his book too. What's funny is that according to a new interview he did with Pitchfork, that's actually one of the most viewed features on their site.