Monday, May 3, 2010

Yard Sales

I love yard sales. This past weekend was the annual "100 Mile Yard Sale," a semi-organized local event that attempts to encourage and co-ordinate yard sales in a number of neighboring communities. While I didn't find anything especially valuable or noteworthy (like you might see on Antiques Roadshow), I did pick up some movies, some vintage Atari schwag, and some cheap books (you can always find dirt cheap books at yard sales). But it's not just about what you come home with, it's also about the thrill of the hunt. Driving down the road, eyes peeled for neon bristle board with hastily scrawled lettering, rooting through cardboard boxes, half-listening to the bullshit stories that the sellers tell you about their goods/themselves, silently judging the crazy people/stuff (maybe that's just me). Occasionally I worry that I'll end up on a show like Hoarders some day, but if spending 75¢ on a Graham Greene novel is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Rating: Would you take 90% for that?

(Image from billsbuddies.wordpress.com)

7 comments:

DCP said...

Wotta schizophrenic commenter. I think I'll just visit that website.

I always want to go to a yard sale whenever I see a sign for one, but I actually don't think I've ever gone. I've got a ton of stuff I'd like to get rid of, but since I live in an apartment I'm kind of missing the "yard" part of that equation.

Quammy said...

If you can have a garage sale without a garage (and yes, you can), then you can definitely have a yard sale without the benefit of a yard.

I wholeheartedly endorse yard sales, but then again I'm also the kind of guy who loves flea markets and pawn shops. Look for me on Hoarders in 2012!

Internet John said...

Related post.

Quammy said...

Pardon the repeat. Before I wrote my review I used the little Blogger search bar thingy but John's review didn't come up when I searched "yard sale." It did however come up later when I searched "yard sales," go figure.

Internet John said...

If you're gonna remake my shit, every post has to be written at a grade 5 reading level and starring Martin Lawrence.

Quammy said...

Oh no you di'n't!

Internet John said...

My best yard sale purchase was a Louisville slugger that I keep by my bed in case Glenn breaks into my house.