Friday, May 21, 2010

The Karate Kid Remake

It's pointless these days to get upset about remakes of films from my childhood. As much as I enjoyed the original Karate Kid, it was only a matter of time before it got updated for today's youth market. But here's what I don't get: the movie is set in China and the kid learns kung fu from Jackie Chan. So, why isn't it called Kung Fu Kid? I'll tell you why. Apparently, in the remake, the Chinese antagonist to Will Smith Jr. calls him "the karate kid" mockingly because of his poor martial arts skills. And with that said, I've probably already devoted more time and consideration to this than anyone involved in the marketing campaign for the Karate Kid.

Rating: Sweep the leg Johnny%

(Image from wikipedia)

5 comments:

Belabras said...

Cobra Kai never die!

I heard someone say they were going to see this just to see Jakie Chan beat up a kid. That's literally the only reason I can think of to go to this.

Quammy said...

I'd have to agree, but only if it were Jackie Chan from 15 to 20 years ago. He's not quite the man he used to be.

Internet John said...

I don't know why they didn't get Ralph Macchio to do the remake too.

Also, don't you have to at least have peach fuzz on your balls to play the Karate Kid? Jaden What's-his-name looks like he's 8 years old.

Institutional Racist said...

I approve of this movie in a patronizing way.

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

smith... smith is his last name