Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Black Swan

Darren Aronofsky's newest film, Black Swan, is a bit of a head trip. I'm not sure if I can even explain it all that well without venturing into spoiler territory. The film centers around Natalie Portman's character, Nina, who has been cast as the lead in a production of Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake. The production requires Nina to master the roles of both the White Swan and the Black Swan. Her struggle with the dual roles begins to seep into her off-stage life, with sexy (but mostly freaky) results. While that doesn't really tell you all that much about the film, it should be noted that the performances from the cast (especially Natalie Portman) are all excellent and Aronofsky's visuals are striking.

Rating: 79%

(Image from onlinemovieshut.com)

4 comments:

DCP said...

I thought this was the best movie I saw last year. Social Network was good, but I don't know why everybody's jizzing their pants about it.

Quammy said...

I didn't get a chance to catch The Social Network, but as far as best movies from 2010 are concerned, my money's still on Inception.

laurie said...

It must be nice to be Natalie Portman right now given that it's obvious she's going to win the hell out of an Oscar this year.

DCP said...

And that she's rich.