Thursday, June 10, 2010

Splice

I actually heard the following comment as the credits rolled on Splice: "That's the most disgusting, fucked up movie I have ever seen." I can almost understand why the outspoken moviegoer felt that way. Splice is not an easy movie to watch, which should explain its poor box office receipts. It's a movie that has inspired both passionate praise and scathing criticisms. It's also virtually impossible to discuss the "controversial" elements of the film without spoiling most of Splice's final act. Fans of Cronenberg style body horror should check out the film, while those who think they're getting a retread of Species should consider another option at the multiplex.

Rating: An apprehensive 70%

(Image from Wikipedia)

5 comments:

laurie said...

Yeah, I plan to see this right after I go watch the Human Centipede. In other words, never, ever, not in a million years.

Quammy said...

Though I haven't seen Human Centipede (and don't want to) I feel pretty confident that Splice is the least repugnant of the two films.

I.J. said...

Mansquito. Also, Inspector Gadget starring Matthew Broderick.

Nick said...

Yeah, Centipede is much, much worse. Splice isn't *that* fucked up - I guess it depends on what you consider fucked up, and what you're going into the film expecting. I hated it because of the ending, but it didn't have a lot to do with the "controversial" elements.

Elizabeth Young, AKA The Gore Hound, or Elspeth Chagall said...

Haven't really heard anything 'nice' about this film, suffice it to say that there really hasn't been anything truly original out there in the way of horror..mainstream horror that is. Despite what other's reaction to it are, I probably won't think this is all that messed up, considering I'm a die-hard Cronenberg fan I've seen practically everything he's done. The films by this director are genius works of art. How this film will compare to it as whether it should be considered in the same vein remains to be seen. I haven't seen it yet and I'm not sure I'll have time to make it to a theater. But the one that is on my radar the most is THE HUMAN CENTIPEDE. I may have a warped sense of humor but I thought this was weird and funny as hell...trust me...I've seen a ton of movies and it takes a lot to gross-me out.