Wednesday, December 9, 2020

A Cup o' Tea an' a Slice o' Cake

A few years after he finished his run as The Third Doctor, Jon Pertwee played a scarecrow in the popular children's series Worzel Gummidge. Since I had just finished watching Pertwee's stint on Doctor Who earlier this year, I thought it would be fitting to watch the Worzel Gummidge Christmas Special "A Cup o' Tea an' a Slice o' Cake." And now, having just watched it, I can tell you that it is almost incomprehensibly British. Also, the scarecrows in the special look and move like zombies, which is a little unsettling. In the special, as far as I can tell, Worzel sets out to ask Aunt Sally to accompany him to the Scarecrow's Ball. He winds up getting into some skirmishes with the various people and scarecrows he meets along the way. I might have gotten more out of it had I watched it with subtitles and a British person who could provide some cultural context.

Rating: Mince Pie%

(Image from Amazon)

No comments: