Friday, October 7, 2011

Night of the Creeps

Night of the Creeps (directed by Fred "Monster Squad" Dekker) is a real hodgepodge of a movie, it's sort of a zombie movie with hints of buddy comedy, slasher homage, college hijinks, "nerd gets the girl" fantasy, grizzled cop pastiche and 1950s-style sci-fi/horror. While that might sound like a jumbled mess, the movie is actually coherent and enjoyable. Basically, it's the story of some experimental alien slug parasite things that land on Earth in the 1950s. They infect some douchey frat guy who is subsequently cryogenically frozen for 30+ years until our nerdy heros release him from stasis in order to get into a fraternity so one of them can impress a sorority babe. The slug things start infecting people on campus and its up to the nerds, the hot chick and a mentally unstable cop to save the day. Now tell me, who can't relate to a story like that?

Rating: Screaming Like Banshees%

(Image from colonelmortimer.blogspot.com)

6 comments:

DCP said...

I like this movie a lot - when I was in college the downstairs neighbors moved out and gave us a couple of boxes of B horror and action movies. Most we'd all seen before, but I never came across this one until then. It's pretty fun.

DCP said...

Also I hope we go retroactively apply that Dick Miller Cameo tag.

Quammy said...

The trailer for this movie really made an impression on me when I was a kid. The whole good news/bad news gag stuck with me for years until I was able to figure out what movie it was from. Then, finding out it was directed by the same guy who did Monster Squad was just icing on the horror movie nerd cake.

I was gonna make just a regular Dick Miller tag but I figured unless I were to review Bucket of Blood, a Dick Miller Cameo tag would be more appropriate.

Sierra Vista Self Storage said...

This movie is actually coherent and enjoyable.

Colorado Springs Self Storage said...

I enjoyed watching it. Love to watch it again & again.

Henderson Self Storage said...

I like this movie a lot.