Friday, October 5, 2012

The Wolf Man

In this "classic" "monster" movie a guy gets bitten by a Wolf Man so then he every now and then turns into a different Wolf Man and acts a damn fool. It's fine I guess - it's the 40s so how can you criticize the makeup or acting or gender politics of when the main dude basically forces himself on an engaged lady because he's that sort of doughy leading man type of pre-1960? Well, it is 1941 so I do think you can criticize the reprehensible nature of implying this Wolf Man thing is the fault of movieland gypsies while the Nazis are rounding up real live gypsies and putting them in concentration camps. Uh, but, like, go Classic Universal Monsters???

RATING: 37%

1 comment:

Quammy said...

I've only seen this one once, but I enjoyed it. It probably helped that I went into it thinking that it was probably going to be terrible. I liked seeing Lugosi as a gypsy and the whole thing about the cursed seeing pentagrams on people, marking them as future victims.