Friday, March 4, 2011

Paying For Plastic Shopping Bags

Once upon a time stores used paper bags and that was fine. Then, after awhile, they switched to plastic bags and that was fine. Now some stores are charging their customers 5¢ per bag for plastic shopping bags and I'm not cool with that. If the 5¢ fee is supposed to offset the environmental cost of the plastic bags, why not go back to paper bags or make bio-degradable bags? Here's an idea: if your company/store thinks that plastic shopping bags are so bad, stop fucking using them. Don't nickel and dime your customers to death because you're not willing to find an environmentally friendly alternative to plastic bags.

Rating: 0.05%

(Image from milkandcoco.ca)

5 comments:

DCP said...

Maybe they're trying to encourage customers to get reusable shopping bags? I thought you were Canadian!

Quammy said...

I am Canadian, I'm also incredibly forgetful. Which is why I never remember to bring reusable bags with me when I go shopping.

Also, it just really pisses me off when I go to one of these stores and they ask me: "Will you be needing a bag?" "No, instead of conveniently carrying my purchases, I'll just juggle this shit home. Seriously, what the fuck do you think?"

Ryan said...

That's why I only buy digital groceries.

laurie said...

Leave the reusable bags in your car so you have them when you buy groceries. Duh.

Unknown said...

I've heard that paper bags actually create a larger carbon footprint, although I'm not sure how the plain old environmental footprint compares. Qualitative multiplication continues to mystify me.

Remember the old plastic shopping bags that didn't rip open when you tried to carry 2L of Crystal Pepsi and a couple of Charlston Chews in them? It's like they're made out of Saran wrap now.