Thursday, February 17, 2011

We Got The Neutron Bomb: The Untold Story Of L.A. Punk

There's a great book out there called Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History Of Punk which chronicles the beginning of the punk scene on the east coast. We Got The Neutron Bomb makes for an excellent companion piece to Please Kill Me, as it chronicles, in a similar style, the rise of west coast punk. From the death days of glam rock to The Decline of Western Civilization, the book covers countless bands, zines, venues, trends, triumphs and tragedies. It's a good, quick read that gives you a greater picture of what the west coast punk scene was like in the late seventies and early eighties. And like any good book about music, it made me want to listen to more music, not just the classics in my collection but the stuff I'd never even heard of before.

Rating: 83%

(Image from houseput.com)

1 comment:

DCP said...

Please Kill Me is one of the books I think about all the time, even though I read it like 10 years ago. I like when they have one quote from William S. Burroughs and it's like "I always thought a punk was someone who liked to take it in the ass." Wotta great thinker!