Thursday, September 2, 2010

Piranha 3D

I've mostly been avoiding the recent resurgence of 3D movies, so I have no idea if Piranha 3D is indicative of the overall experience and/or enhancement that the 3D gimmick is supposed to offer. I personally haven't been to a 3D movie since I saw Captain EO at Epcot in the late '80s and all I really recall from that flick are the puppety type creatures singing and dancing alongside Michael Jackson. What I can tell you about Piranha 3D is that it has more blood and nudity in it than I have seen from a mainstream, theatrically released horror film since the Friday the 13th remake. And as far as horror remakes go, Piranha 3D manages to be one of the better ones made in the last few years, on par with the Dawn of the Dead remake from 2004. I recommend checking the movie out if the title or trailer piqued your interest at all, but don't feel like you need to see it in 3D, nothing will be lost when the movie hits DVD.

Rating: 78%

(Image from impawards.com)

3 comments:

Nick said...

Except the 3D penis!

The first bit of this movie was really rather boring. The last 3rd of it was a literal bloodbath though.

The problem with the 3D films depend on the film; I imagine a movie like Up would be nice to see in 3D, but the movie works without it; so 3D is a problem, I think, if the movie is about being 3D more than it is about a good story. Another issue would be movies that were "retrofitted" into being 3D just to capitalize on the gimmick. If you're a horror buff, this movie is probably good with or without the 3D glasses. I thought it was awful, but it isn't my thing, so that's okay.

Quammy said...

What I think is funny about the whole 3D resurgence is that most of the movies aren't actually shot in 3D, just converted in post-production. I've read interviews with film makers where they brag up the fact that their movie will be in 3D (because it's the future, man) and then they go on to say that they didn't actually use 3D cameras because they're too hard to work with. I'm pretty sure a lot of film makers said the same thing about color cameras back in the day.

I am a horror fan, so I did enjoy Piranha 3D for what it was. But I think what I liked about it the most was how upset James Cameron got over it. I'm guessing he wants everyone to forget that he directed Piranha II: The Spawning.

Eva said...

I was already interested, but now that you've compared it to the 2004 Dawn of the Dead remake, I really HAVE to see it.