Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Wonder Boys


In the film adaptation of Michael Chabon's (autobiographical?) novel, Michael Douglas plays an aging author/professor who hasn't published a book in too long a time (but he has tenure, so he's golden) even though his current manuscript-in-progress has exceeded 2,000 pages, and he mentors a pre-Cruisicidal Katie Holmes and a nearly autistic Tobey Maguire while screwing Frances McDormand, the university chancellor who is also married to the director of the English department, excellently portrayed with pretense and egomania by Richard "John Boy Walton" Thomas, and his agent/editor is Robert Downey Jr. and even though his character is gay, he's nothing but Robert Downey Jr., the character he's played since starring in Pound.

If you're an English major, a writer, or a pretentious lit nerd (and that's a largely overlapping Venn Diagram), you'll probably enjoy this flick. I did.

Rating: Frances McDormand% (87%)

photo courtesy of imdb.com

8 comments:

Timmaaay!!! said...

I cannot hear this movie mentioned without wishing it was a filmed version of "Wonderboy" by Tenacious D. Oh well. Can't have everything.

"Cruisicidal", eh? I hadn't heard that one before.

Anonymous said...

I love this movie. It's one of my favs. I love how he gets all his shit together in the end. There's still hope for me :)

laurie said...

@anon: lol!

I, too, love this movie. I haven't seen it in years, but I recall that it has lots of the things I love--writers, cute nerdy guys, a tranny, Francis McDormand, red cowboy boots, etc, etc.

Viking Andrew said...

I admit it: nineteen year old Viking Andrew wanted to grow up to be just like Grady Tripp.
The only part of the movie that ever bothered me was when Tripp tells the famous author that Kate Hudson's character already has two short stories published in the Paris Review. I was like, an undergrad with two stories in TPR? Go fuck yourself with that shit.

John said...

I helped write a play once. For school. Also, I'm relieved someone finally quantified Francis McDormand. It's been keeping me up nights.

R Kelley tag said...

heh tpr

laurie said...

And by Kate Hudson do you mean Katie Holmes? God Andrew, don't you know anything?

Viking Andrew said...

Sorry. My bad. Gosh, I better subscribe to US Weekly.